1. "Big Blue" is the Capital One National Mascot of the Year. ODU's mascot, a lion named Big Blue, is the 2010 winner of the national mascot of the year award. School spirit rocks!
2. They have a Quiddich team. Yes, the famed sport from the Harry Potter Books. Students break into teams, get on brooms and run around.
3. Before you graduate, you have to ride the Lion. Speaking of lions, there's a statue of one in the center of campus that students sneak a ride on top before they leave the university. It's actually not allowed by the administration, so if you get caught, one student says you have to write a reflective essay.
4. There's a Ghost Hunter Club. Just in case you think cafeteria food isn't spooky enough, there's a club you can join to search for apparitions and haunted places.
5. Old Dominion University was named by royalty. It derives its name from one of Virginia's state nicknames, "The Old Dominion." Given to the state by King Charles II of England for remaining loyal to the crown during the English Civil War, the nickname serves as a reminder of ODU's royal roots.